Affirmations are statements of believed truths used in the positive form and provide an individual with increased feelings of self-empowerment. Using these statements allows a person to focus on their desired outcomes whether for everyday living or experiencing an acute or chronic illness/disease condition/accident.
One may think of this as ‘living in the positive’ which is not to say that untoward things do not happen. Rather, a person is encouraged to set their course in the positive while dealing with any negative occurrences. Simply do not dwell, decide your course of action, resolve the issue, then move on—in the positive spirit!
There are some good reasons to shift a person’s mindset to Positive Thinking:
- Feeling of calmness overall.
- Soothes the nervous system.
- Reduction of daily stress.
- Balances the endocrine and cardiovascular systems
- Actually strengthens the immune system.
- Reduces need for medications in controlling pain or mood elevators.
- If experiencing an illness—recovery is faster.
Overall, energy expended in the negative is exhausting and unproductive while positive energies are so much easier to live by. Suggestions follow to assist in keeping your life positive.
- Start and finish your day by expressing your ‘gratitude’ experiences. Give thanks for what you have.
- Keep a journal and write about the good and great things affecting your daily life.
- Focus on a positive thought for the day, week, or month. Keep all you do with this in mind.
- Re-evaluate who your friends are and if they are palling you down through their negative thinking, it is time for a major change. Surround yourself with positive thinkers!
- Put a smile on! Others are truly more receptive to a smile rather than frown. Plus you ultimately use fewer facial muscles and will be less fatigued. Experiencing positive responses results in less stress!
Applications for Healthcare:
- If you are ill, undergoing surgery, or have chronic conditions, it is very important to have the full team ‘on board’ while in process of achieving your optimal Wellness! This includes Family, Friends, Doctors, Nurses, and all other healthcare providers assisting you. Write out some positive statements that can be used by everyone to feed back to you over the course of your care. It is part of the plan to stick to positive thinking! Giving you this emotional empowerment is crucial for your ultimate wellbeing.
- Feelings of empowerment can also come from your pets; taking in Nature. volunteering within your community; having a group of dependable friends; and simply giving yourself permission to do nothing—read a book, and enjoy your immediate environment.
- Thank you for a good night’s rest.
- Make this a good day.
- This surgical intervention will be successful and allow me to move forward.
- I am happy to have friends and family in my life.
- My job has so much potential and will keep me ‘on my toes.’
- I so enjoy sitting in my garden and listening.
- I don’t mind the rain today— it is beneficial for all of us.